Special thanks to Frank Campanella at CulinaryLion for this delicious Valentine’s dinner menu.
Impress that special someone with a keto Valentines dinner that looks like a five star chef prepared it.
This low carb Strawberry Glazed Salmon with healthy, low carb Cauliflower Risotto, Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus, Quick Pickled Radishes and devine keto Chocolate Ricotta Mousse is exactly what you need.
We all love steak (or at least most of us do) but sometimes, especially on a romantic night like Valentine’s, you may want to switch things up and go with something a bit lighter.
Salmon is packed with omega 3 fatty acids and essential vitamins plus it just tastes outstanding especially when prepared correctly. I’ll give you the tips and tricks to make a salmon dish you’ll not soon forget. The thinly sliced radishes give a nice crunch and texture contrast as well as providing a pleasing visual presentation. The slightly sweet and spicy strawberry glaze adds a complexity to the dish with subtle notes of acidity that pair well with the richness of the fish.
My salmon is always dry and flavorless what am I doing wrong???
Well, just like Valentine’s Day, you need to prepare the salmon hot and heavy. 😉
Most people tend to over cook fish for two reasons. The first is they cook it on too low of a temperature and it ends up drawing the moisture out of the fish instead of locking in the flavor. The second is most people just cook salmon like they would chicken to 165 degrees F. The absolute most I would cook salmon is to 150 degrees and I actually recommend 135-140 degrees F.
If you’re buying your fish from a reputable source and you don’t decide to cook it a week after you bought it you shouldn’t worry about under-cooking your salmon just a bit. If you’re not convinced, that’s cool, but I promise as long as you hit 150 degrees your fish will be cooked through. One last tip is to make sure you pull the salmon out 20-30 minutes before cooking so it can come up to room temperature. This will ensure quick, even cooking.
What order should I prepare these dishes so everything comes out hot??
As with any multi component dinner the key is preparation. No one part of this meal takes very long to prepare, so it will come together fast. I always start with my veggies first. This way they are out of the way before you bring out the fish and run any risk of cross contamination. Second, it will get that part of the dish out of the way so you can concentrate on the fish.
- Slice your radishes and strawberries, prep any garnishes.
- Blanch and wrap your asparagus with prosciutto.
- Gather all your ingredients for the cauliflower risotto
- Finally, season the fish.
Now everything is ready to go. When your salmon and asparagus is in the oven finishing up, you can warm up the risotto and begin plating. You’ll have the dish assembled and on the table in no time. Just make sure to light the candles and uncork the wine first.
Tell me more about these sides.
This is an incredibly simple mock risotto using frozen riced cauliflower. Trust me, no one will know you didn’t make this from scratch. The Ricotta brings this dish together while counteracting the spicy strawberry glaze. Ricotta is commonly paired with strawberries, most of the time in sweeter preparations. You’ll find that these two ingredients were truly meant for each other!
The asparagus is definitely not the star of the dish but does play a key supporting role in this low carb romance. Blanching the asparagus in chicken or vegetable stock instead of water adds a lot of flavor. Even though we will shock the asparagus in cold water, it still absorbs a lot of that flavor. If you really want some extra credit, wrap a few of these blanched asparagus with a thin sliced of prosciutto and broil for just a few minutes with the salmon.
What’s For Dessert???
Glad you asked! Since we are preparing such a magnificent dinner, I figured we would take it easy on you with dessert. This Keto Mousse Mason Jar is a stunner and is simple to prepare using a few keto products to help us along the way.
Ketologie makes one of the tastiest meal replacement shakes I’ve ever had and that’s when the idea to whip it up with some heavy cream into a mousse came to me. For texture we crushed up a Stoka Bar, another one of our favorites and layered that throughout. To cut the sweetness, we used a dollop of ricotta cheese. At first this might seem strange until you taste the magic that happens when strawberry and ricotta are paired together. The beauty of this low carb dessert is that everything can be made ahead of time and chilled in the fridge until it’s time to serve. The perfect keto crescendo to a beautiful, healthy Valentine’s Day Dinner.
Salmon w/ Sweet & Spicy Strawberry glaze
- 12 oz salmon (Two 6 oz filets)
Sweet & Spicy Strawberry Glaze
- ⅓ cup diced fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup Alternasweet spicy ketchup
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Sambal Oelek
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon diced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- In a small saucepan combine all ingredients and stir until glaze reduces by half and coats the back of a spoon. Set aside to cool.
- In a nonstick pan ad 2 tablespoon avocado oil and set to medium high heat.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper and sear for about 2-3 minutes per side
- Spread a few spoonfuls of the glaze over the salmon then broil in the oven for 1-2 minutes to caramelize the glaze.
- 16 oz frozen Riced Cauliflower
- ½ cup whole milk Ricotta
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Microwave riced cauliflower just enough to thaw it out then add to a pan with garlic, scallions and butter. Cook for a few minutes to get rid of excess water.
- Add heavy cream then fold in ricotta cheese, taste and season accordingly.
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 10 spears asparagus
- 1 tablespoon Alternasweets bbq sauce
- 5 slices prosciutto
- Heat chicken stock in a saucepan to a simmer.
- Cut asparagus stems about 3-4 inches from the stem end on a 45 degree angle.
- Blanch asparagus in stock for about one minute then shock immediately in ice water.
- Wrap each piece of asparagus in ½ a slice of prosciutto then brush with Alternasweets BBQ sauce.
- Broil in oven for 3-5 minutes until caramelized.
Quick Pickled Radishes
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes.
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp erythritol
- Using a Japanese mandolin thinly slice radishes then toss with remaining ingredients.
Chocolate Ricotta Mason Jar Mousse
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup ricotta
- 2 scoops Ketologie chocolate shake
- 1 Stoka Bar
- 2 strawberries
- 1 tablespoon shaved dark chocolate
- In a mixing bowl combine heavy cream and ketologie shake mix with a mixer until you have stiff degrees peaks.
- Fold in Ricotta cheese until smooth.
- To assemble layer crushed Stoka Bar chocolate mousse mixture an then finish with a dollop of ricotta on top then garnish with a strawberry and shaved dark chocolate.