Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner and we have a fantastic Keto friendly Green Chile smoked meatball recipe that will turn your backyard barbecue into a culinary fiesta.
Meatballs are always a fan favorite at any gatherings and since it’s Cinco de Mayo this weekend we wanted to put a Mexican twist on this Keto recipe. Green Chile’s bring a subtle spicy to compliment the wood fire of your grill or smoker.
Don’t have a smoker? No problem, just add a tsp of liquid smoke to your meatballs and bake in a convection oven following the same directions below. If you are using a smoker I always recommend using lump charcoal and a mild fruit wood like apple or cherry. I’m using a large 22” big green egg but any smoker or offset grill will do a fine job for this recipe.
As the meatballs are cooking on smoker or grill it’s time to make up a quick salsa verde queso to top the meatballs with. This creamy cheese sauce only takes about 5 minutes to make so you can whip it up in no time.
The key to a creamy queso is to heat up the cream to a simmer then dropping the temperature to low and whisk in the cheddar cheese. If your sauce is boiling when you whisk in the cheese it will become greasy and have a grainy texture. Lowering the temperature will give you a rich velvety smooth queso that everyone will love.
Once you’ve finished cooking your meatballs simply dollop the salsa verde queso over your meatballs and garnish with Pico de Gallo.
Happy Cinco de Mayo from Alternasweets! We hope you enjoy this tasty recipe and have a fun filled weekend with friends and family.
Green Chili Smoked Meatballs
- 2 lbs 80/20 ground beef
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup AlternaSweets Spicy Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Daks Taco Knight Seasoning
- 1 tsp real salt garlic salt
- 1 tsp Trader Joe’s Onion Salt
- 4 oz chopped Green chilies
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- Heat Smoker or grill to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, form meatballs into 3oz balls
- Lightly season the meatballs with addition salt and taco seasoning.
- After 30 minutes brush meatballs with Alternasweets Spicy Ketchup. Continue cooking meatballs until an internal temperature of 155 degrees F. Has been reached
Salsa Verde Queso
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup salsa verde
- 2 oz cream cheese
- ¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp Daks Taco Knight Seasoning
- ¼ tsp real salt garlic salt
- ¼ tsp Trader Joe’s onion salt
- Garnish: ½ cup Pico de Gallo
- In a large saucepan simmer heavy cream along with seasonings, salsa verde and cream cheese until mixture is smooth and fully combined.
- Turn heat to low and whisk in cheddar cheese
- Once cheese is fully incorporated spoon over smoked meatballs and garnish with Pico de Gallo